Movies in 2013

With ~10 days for the year to get over, here is a short log of some of the movies that were watched this year and were liked, discussed and recommended. If you haven't watched any of these, consider this post as my personal recommendation.



1. Extremely Loud and incredibly close (2011)

What we really like about this movie was its intensity. I experienced a similar feeling with 'Suraj ka Satvaan Ghoda' although there is no commonality between their plots. Thomas Horn's performance packs a solid punch.















2. Donnie Darko (2001)


I find time-travel theories quite interesting. And this one, though I could understand only after watching this YouTube video - is one of the best movies on time travel I'd consider. My definite recommendation in terms of its solidity among all time-travel theories.













3. Caché (Hidden) (2005)


I got a reference of this one when browsing through the list of psycho-thriller flicks. It is quite different from what the other movies usually offer - which probably might leave you a little dissatisfied. However, the movie is pure craft. It is a French flick, and I recommend watching it with sub-titles rather than a dubbed version. 












4. The Good Road (2013)


The movie is in Gujarati and that would be one of the most important reasons why it reeled in my mind the entire day. There is nothing special in the story. No twists, no thrills. But the journey through 'The Good Road' is quite memorable. Maybe the Gujarat connection worked here to influence me.













5. Sita sings the Blues (2008)


This one was a surprise. We started with an impression that both of us would not be able to pull through to the end. But we were wrong. It is one of the most creative (and un-conventional) attempts on The Ramayana I've seen so far. And yes, it does have its own share of Hindu-God bashing moments. No intentions to hurt any sentiments though. Watch it with an open mind.

Interestingly, the movie is part of the public domain and promotes sharing and distributing it free of cost. You may watch it here.











6. All About My Wife (2012)

I saw the trailer of this movie on the website of a local theater in Schiedam. And then I watched this movie, twice. The story is brilliant and the actors have brilliantly delivered each and every moment of the movie. It deserves a watch if you haven't already. Once again, I would recommend watching with subtitles rather than having a dubbed English version.













7. Cloud Atlas (2012)

This movie is actually a complete cinematic experience. Cut out into different stories and joined together - the cohesion between them keeps you engaged through and through. I especially liked the stories around Sonmi-451 and Timothy Cavendish. We felt the movie getting a little 'preachy' at times, but that was quite tolerable.




Popular Posts