At times, even God loses patience.  We visit temples and shrines that are deemed as holy, assuming that these places will cleanse us off our sins. Such places are treated as a drainage line, where we try to get rid off the dirt and leave it for someone else to take care of the mess we've made.

But drainage lines get clogged too. Here it got clogged with people. Hundreds and thousands of pilgrims kept visiting a region that could not accept more. The hills were carved into roads, houses, shops, temples and more temples. Humans practically invaded the area leaving God just a small portion. That too, in form of temples. And perhaps that's when He decided to do some housekeeping. The massive flood washed everything away. People got killed, constructions ravaged - the place is now closed for tourists at least for next few months, maybe an year. My sympathy with all those people who got harmed with this event, but we all had expected this to happen someday - and it happened this year.

The relief work is on. There are several angles projected off it. Political is one of them. I just hope that these angles don't corner off the actual purpose behind the relief work. Post relief work, we expect some sort of crowd control policy from the Government. That might trigger into a separate argument altogether. But it is us who need to wisely determine our extent of religiousness. It was said that the Indian Gods live in the Himalayas. I think that it is no longer true. There is no need to travel to meet God, or to show our devotion Him. There are alternate ways, and all of them are right, if our faith is still intact.

I haven't been to Kedarnath - somehow I never wanted to. And perhaps I might not visit in the future too. I do not want to add to the crowd. And maybe God will understand that. Maybe he will thank me for not visiting Him there. That is how I will show my devotion to Him.

Popular Posts